Monday, August 07, 2006

Professional Application with Professional Brushes.

Someone once said that the difference between a great makeup artist and good makeup artist is one more stroke. Makeup is all about blending. Just when you think you’ve blended enough, blend one more time.

This is especially true with eyes. No matter how subtle or vibrant you like to wear your shadows, blending is the key to a perfect result. I was always taught to start off with the lightest shade and work up to the darkest. Now I’m not so sure that’s right. More and more I begin with the darkest shade and work towards the lightest. I find that I get automatic blending this way and I make fewer mistakes.

Of course, you can’t blend if you don’t have the right tools. Good brushes are absolutely key to a good result. You just can’t use that little sponge-tipped thing they gave you in your eye shadow compact. Invest in good brushes, treat them well and they will last you forever. I promise you, you’ll get more joy out of your makeup than you ever have. A good brush has natural bristles and is hand-tied, just like ours.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, I've used brushes for years, now that I look back at pictures from when I didn't use brushes I can completely tell the difference in the way my eye shadow looks. I just recently switched a co-worker to brushes as well and she loved the difference.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't even consider the brushes that you get with makeups at drugstore....brushes. Once you have had good quailty brushes, you will never want to use anything else. I am a believer myself. Does anyone know if it is okay for me to clean my brushes with liquid, anti-bacterial soap?

Anonymous said...

I love the Jane Iredale Brushes, and the Makeup. The whole line is made from all natural ingredients, and minerals. I recomend Jane Iredale to every one. There is even the HE Collection for him, which has some great SPF Bronzers. My Boyfriend where's his when he golfs, and fishes so he won't burn.

Anonymous said...

I must say I am so impressed with my new brushes. I just ordered the professional set of brushes from dermstore.com and I knew they would be nice but the pictures definately do not do the canister and brushes justice. This is the best thing I have treated myself to. I am sure the investment will pay off after years of use. Jane's quality is always dependable and top notch!
Thanks, I love the new profession brush kit.

Anonymous said...

I never realized how much the correct brush was so important for the type of make-up you are applying. I purchased from DermStore.com all of the necessary brushes for each make-up application and it sure made it easier and went on a lot smoother. What a great tip.

Anonymous said...

Brushes really are the only way to go when using any makeup. They are easy to clean, and makes applying makeup alot easier than using a sponge applicater.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried the darkest to lightest technique yet, but I'll give it try. Anything that makes the process easier is good for me.

Anonymous said...

I had an eye makeover at a salon once, and I noticed the artist was using the dark colors on my eyes first instead of blending them in last. She used 4 different colors of the same shade that would complement my eye color. I think the outcome of using this unique darkest to lightest technique made my eyes look more dramatic, and fun.

Anonymous said...

Does the darker to lightest application tips apply to applying eye makeup? I've love to use the lighest shade all over my eyes and apply the darker shades after. Any tips would help. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love Jane's Brushes.

Anonymous said...

Jane's Brushes will last forever if you keep them clean with the Brush Shampoo.

Anonymous said...

Jane's Brushes are the best.

Anonymous said...

I like the Eye Contour Brush, the Crease, and the Eye Shader for my eye shadows.

Anonymous said...

The Handi Brushe works great for everything

Anonymous said...

I use my Handi Brush as a Blush Brush, Foundation Brush with my Pressed Powder, and as an eye shadow Brush.

Anonymous said...

Do you think that you'll ever come out with a tapered eyeliner brush?